Picture
Monday morning, Susan Sipal, my editor, and I drove to Hilde's house to pick her up for the launch party. When I walked in the house, she showed me the framed photo of her and her late-husband John and held it close to her chest.

"Would it be all right for me to bring this? It is our engagement picture and I'd like John to be part of the event."

I had to blink back the tears. Though we had been working on the book for well over a year together, it wasn’t until that moment I realized how much this meant to Hilde.

Once at the Leon Mann Jr. Enrichment Center, the flurry of activity began. With over 65 gathered and waiting, Hilde’s daughter Marlena helped with the refreshments, a screen was set up to watch the book trailer, reporters from two television stations and the local paper arrived, and suddenly we were on stage.

After watching the trailer, I read the chapter of the book which describes how Hedy, the protagonist, spent the night after her 19th birthday. Then it was time to celebrate Hilde’s 90th birthday with singing and cookies. Time does fly. Hilde stood and thanked her friends and neighbors, and we answered questions.

We were whisked off to a small room for interviews. Beth Lawrence from Jacksonville Channel 12, Jaqueline Matters from Greenville Channel 9, and Megan Soult from The News Times in Morehead City did a wonderful job helping Hilde relax and asked good questions.
After a fun, but exhausting day, I dropped Hilde at her home. As I waved goodbye, she said, “I can’t believe it is really done.”
Neither can I, Hilde, neither can I!

Comments

Sharon Miller
02/15/2016 2:26pm

Enjoyed the book! It was from a German perspective of the war. Excellent read.

04/06/2017 6:34am

I also enjoy this book. Darker the Night is really an inspiring type of book. This is a true story that is about a woman who is dealing with challenges in love and war. This is somehow about the historic period of the World War II. This is story is around the regime of Hitler. I'm recommending this to everyone!

06/19/2016 1:49pm

Darker the night is fantastic book of blog. I have read this book already and have gained lots of information on it. It’s really inspiring book and like able to much people mine as well.

11/26/2016 6:18am

Her love is eternal, even she is old although. The one he loved died too early, even they can't just made plans for their future. However, it was a great interview & we really enjoyed her company.

12/02/2016 12:15am

Hilde's love for her husband must be really eternal. I'm pretty sure the book contains a lot of emotions, and the readers will surely feel it. Hilde, as I can see, is a strong woman who has been through a lot and still fighting, that's why with the help of other people, she's willing to share it to other people through this book. I will recommend this to women, and even men out there.

03/16/2017 8:18am

It is so beautiful. They are still alive while we remember them. everlasting memory!

Picture
    Darker the Night

Author

Lisa London is the author of the top-selling Accountant Beside You series of books to assist nonprofits with their accounting needs.
    She expanded into fiction after her neighbor mentioned being involved in the Hitler Youth. This sent Lisa on a year-long research journey and now she is completely hooked on writing fiction.

Author Pages